[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34196: Add image size between Medium and Large to better take advantage of Responsive Image support

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 8 07:46:17 UTC 2015

#34196: Add image size between Medium and Large to better take advantage of
Responsive Image support
-------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  DH-Shredder  |       Owner:  DH-Shredder
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by DH-Shredder):

 Not entirely sure what possessed me, but went ahead and did a first rough
 of a "moderate" image size in [attachment:moderate-size.diff].

 Uncertain if this is the direction we want to go, but figured that the
 patch being posted wouldn't hurt.

 This uses an image size of 768x768 for "moderate".

 Known caveats:
 * It's extremely possible I missed cases; this is a rough first run.
 * The tests pass, but there are several that still need to be updated to
 test the "moderate" size properly.
 * The addition of the `db_version` change is almost certainly wrong, but
 is there to get the schema to update and add the new size. I need to dig
 into how to do this properly.

 Comments:
 * I don't like adding another size to the settings page :/  Maybe it's
 old-fashioned of me, but it seems backwards.
 * It does seem to make the responsive images experience better, so it
 accomplishes the purpose of the ticket.
 * There are a lot of places where we reference the default image sizes.
 Wow.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34196#comment:4>