[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34571: Thumbnails and featured images broken if the filename contains utf8 characters (e.g. üäö)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 4 01:56:05 UTC 2015

#34571: Thumbnails and featured images broken if the filename contains utf8
characters (e.g. üäö)
 Reporter:  smuts         |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Media         |    Version:  4.3.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I did an upgrade to 4.3.1 from 3.6.1 and I have a whole bunch of media
 assets (more than 4000 images) where a substantial portion of these images
 have filenames containing utf8 characters like apostrophes, umlauts etc.

 While these images work just fine in posts, neither the "feature image"
 nor the thumbnail in the media library will work for that image (broken
 image icon, rename plugins won't work, feature image shows broken image
 icon).

 Both functionalities worked fine in 3.6.1

 I would be grateful if the media library and the featured image
 functionally could be fixed so that the media library will work for these
 files again as well as the feature image.