[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34532: Responsive images: calculate the image baseurl from the original image `src`.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 2 12:11:51 UTC 2015

#34532: Responsive images: calculate the image baseurl from the original image
`src`.
--------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz        |       Owner:

Comment (by aaroncampbell):

 I have some reservations on this one. It looks to me like there will no
 longer be a call to `wp_upload_dir()` anywhere, which means that we're
 making the assumption that because one image size is stored in a specific
 places that all other sizes of that same image are also stored there.
 That's definitely the case the vast majority of the time, but it's
 certainly possible to store them separately.

 So what happens if we generate a srcset that has some invalid URLs, and
 add it to an image? At certain sizes does the image disappear? Or does it
 simply fall back to showing the image that was already there? If the
 latter, then it's not a huge deal to me. Basically if means that if you
 store images in a non-standard way, then you need to write some code to
 make sure of this new functionality but nothing breaks.

 If it's the former though, if there's potential of breakage, then I think
 we need to step back and think about it a bit. Especially since in this
 case we are '''modifying existing user data without telling them or
 requiring any action on their part at all'''. If existing posts begin to
 NOT show an image at a particular viewport size, when they worked before,
 that's a HUGE deal. (I'm not as worried about it, but even without
 breakage I assume that having any incorrect URLs will cause additional
 404s, something that is already not especially light-weight in WordPress.)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34532#comment:5>