[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32518: TwentyFifteen causes random redirects to archives/robots.txt when using CPT or page templates (was: Twenty Fifteen causes random redirects to archives/robots.txt when using CPT or page templates)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 28 12:45:46 UTC 2015

#32518: TwentyFifteen causes random redirects to archives/robots.txt when using CPT
or page templates
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  Jyria         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by Jyria):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  worksforme =>
 * component:  Bundled Theme => Themes

Comment:

 Deactivation of plugins did not do anything to change the theme behaviour.
 I deactivated the mod_pagespeed on my apache. Still no changes in theme
 behaviour.

 Then I played with my custom post type a bit more. This is what I did and
 now it works.. I hope ;)

 I corrected a typo in functions.php: capatibilitys.... lol. Then I decided
 to register the CPT via Plugin rather than child theme functions.php. So I
 wrote a small plugin to do the job.

 I deleted the CPT registration function from theme functions.php

 The weird behaviour stayed the same.

 I then checked the templates once more.. I played around with file naming
 according to WP Codex. No luck.
 For example when trying to access a page with slug 'arbeiten' or also my
 blogpage, it would redirect me to my CPT 'termine'  archive. Or also to my
 Page template 'shop'.

 I finally renamed the CPT archive back to archive-termine.php In the
 meantime while trying to find out what was wrong, I had named it
 termine.php

 Still no luck. Same weird behaviour.

 In the end, I thought, ok.. if WP checks step by step the
 page/post/archive templates and the decide to use cpt archive or my custom
 page template, then the reason can only be, that it simply can not "see"
 the page.php, archive.php etc in my parent theme folder.

 So I copied the twentyfifteen page.php and archive.php to my childtheme as
 well.

 That did the trick.

 Is that intended?
 I think not, right? WP should check in parent themefolder as well as
 childtheme to decide which template to choose, doesn't it?
 So I believe there is something in wrong with twentyfifteen.

 Also the behaviour was worst in firefox. In chrome/safari on my Mac I
 could access the pages 85% without problems. I did get the behviour in
 these browsers as well. However not as constantly as in firefox on my
 windows machine.

 Sorry for the long post

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32518#comment:3>