[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #17253: Author role should be able to make/edit pages (a.k.a. let's get with the times)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 14 01:46:10 UTC 2015

#17253: Author role should be able to make/edit pages (a.k.a. let's get with the
times)
-----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  jane             |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by knutsp):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  wontfix =>

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:6 johnbillion]:
 > we'd run into issues with sites which need strict control over which
 users can access what when suddenly authors can edit pages.

 That will not happen. Since authors will not have authored any pages they
 will not be able to edit any, until they create one themselves.

 `edit_others_pages`, `edit_private_pages`, `delete_others_pages`,
 `read_private_pages`, `delete_private_pages` caps should still be off for
 authors, while `edit_pages`, ` publish_pages`, `edit_published_pages`,
 `delete_pages`, `delete_published_pages` caps should be on, the way it is
 for posts.

 I have client's sites where I have made these changes using a caps/role
 manager plugin, to let the site admin avoid upgrading authors to editors,
 while letting them mange their own pages. There is no sudden access for
 the authors to edit anything else.

 I'm for this change.

 As I feel this ticket was closed on reasons not addressing what this
 ticket actually suggests, I would like it to stay open until reconsidered.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17253#comment:8>