[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22770: Tweak Browse Happy so it doesn't jump the gun with out-of-date browser messages

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 8 22:22:57 UTC 2015

#22770: Tweak Browse Happy so it doesn't jump the gun with out-of-date browser
messages
--------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  avcascade           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  closed
Changes (by chriscct7):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  WordPress.org =>

Comment:

 I've debated whether its actually an issue to tell users that their 8 year
 old distro's bundled browser is out of date. I feel like if the distro's
 version is out of date, we should still let the users know. If Chrome
 released a security release, and 8 months go by and a distro doesn't
 update, then the user, regardless of the fact that they run the latest
 version bundled with their distro, is still at the end of the day running
 an out of date (and insecure) browser.

 For this reason, regardless of the distro or operating system the user is
 on, we should let Browse Happy do it's job and inform the user that the
 browser is out of date.

 Closing as wontfix

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22770#comment:5>