[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32199: Add Site, with Twenty Fifteen theme deleted, gives WSOD everywhere except Admin Panels

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 1 20:58:01 UTC 2015

#32199: Add Site, with Twenty Fifteen theme deleted, gives WSOD everywhere except
Admin Panels
--------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  adiant              |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by adiant):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * type:  defect (bug) => enhancement
 * resolution:  worksforme =>

Comment:

 Since I support the right of the WordPress Development Team to decide
 whether any Issue is a Bug or Design Decision, I have re-opened this as a
 Enhancement, given how frequently I see WSOD errors when responding to
 Support forum queries.  And also given the I.T. mindset that says "Delete
 all unnecessary Components to reduce Maintenance Costs", which is why it
 makes sense to a lot of people to delete the Twenty Fifteen theme, if they
 don't plan to use it.

 I believe that any one (only need one of them) of the following
 enhancements would make this problem at least an Order of Magnitude easier
 to debug.  Whenever the default Theme does not (or will not) exist, I am
 suggesting that any one of the following be implemented:
 1) Error Message on "Front End" when WP_DEBUG set to TRUE, or
 2) Warning on top of each Admin panel on New Site, or
 3) Fatal Error when Creating a New Site, or
 4) Fatal Error when trying to Delete "Default" Theme

 Thank you for your interest in this.  If it is decided not to proceed on
 this, I am willing to update the Codex to make it easier to find the
 solution.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32199#comment:3>