[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31658: Press This: Users lacking the ability to publish should not see a Publish button

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 16 20:02:51 UTC 2015

#31658: Press This: Users lacking the ability to publish should not see a Publish
button
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  DrewAPicture  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Press This    |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  has-patch
  Focuses:  ui            |
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Currently, if a user lacks the capability to publish posts, they still see
 a Publish button in the Press This window:

 [[Image(http://f.cl.ly/items/2W0S0x230325363V0E26/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-16%20at%201.49.07%20PM.png)]]

 And while clicking the Publish button simply appears to save a draft and
 redirect the user to the editing view within the admin, this workflow
 could be confusing. That said, I think we have two reasonably good

 1. Remove the Publish button. Switch the order of Preview and Save Draft
 and make Save Draft the primary:

 [[Image(http://f.cl.ly/items/200k3n3V1011141l1Y1a/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-16%20at%201.49.57%20PM.png)]]

 2. Replace the Publish button with a Submit for Review button, and upon
 clicking it, the post is actually submitted for review, redirecting to the
 editing screen as expected:

 [[Image(http://f.cl.ly/items/0c1D3r0p0Z0L3X42092e/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-16%20at%202.00.30%20PM.png)]]

 The patch I've attached handles the first option above. The second option
 would require a little more intimate knowledge of how Press This operates.