[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31507: Error determined blog when using multi-site, a domain different than the current site, and more than 1 path segment

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 2 21:59:14 UTC 2015

#31507: Error determined blog when using multi-site, a domain different than the
current site, and more than 1 path segment
 Reporter:  iotr                |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
 Priority:  normal              |  Milestone:  Awaiting Review
Component:  Networks and Sites  |    Version:  4.1
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  multisite           |
 == Steps to Reproduce ==

 1. Create a multi-site blog with SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL set to false and
 PATH_CURRENT_SITE set to /content/. Main site is now available at
 2. Create a new network with a different domain name than the domain for
 the current site (my.example.com)
 3. Set the path for the new network to have 2 path segments, for example

 **Expectation** Navigating to http://my.example.com/content/my-new-network
 will show the new network
 **Result** Redirection back to the primary site
 (http://www.example.com/content/) because no blog could be found at the

 == More Details ==

 We have a multi-site blog set up in a similar manner to the description
 above. The primary site is based at http://www.elocal.com/content/ and is
 configured in wp-config.php like:

    define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'www.elocal.com' );
    define( 'PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/content/' );
    define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false );

 We then have a few networks. Some of these are under the domain
 www.elocal.com (e.g. http://www.elocal.com/content/home-expert-network/ )
 while some are under other domains (e.g.
 http://www.elocallawyers.com/content/legal-resource-network/ ).

 Upon upgrading from WordPress 3.7.1 to Wordpress 4.1.1, we found all of
 the blogs NOT on the same domain as the primary site (so not on
 www.elocal.com) no longer could be located, navigating to the links just
 resulted in a 302 back to the main blog page.

 Upon researching the issue, I found the code responsible for looking up
 the appropriate blog from is restricting the lookup to only the first path
 segment source:trunk/src/wp-includes/ms-settings.php?rev=28934#L65 (the
 third argument to get_site_by_path is 1. So because the path for the blog
 on domain www.elocallawyers.com with two path segments (content and legal-
 resource-network), but we are limiting the path to only one path segment
 (/, or /content/), we cannot find the blog.

 I was able to perform a temporary workaround by changing the third
 argument to a 2, which at least got me back up and running.

 I'm not sure what a great solution would be. A couple of options that I
 can think of:

 1. Do not restrict the number of page segments for non current_site blog
 2. Allow for this to be a configuration setting so I could set the maximum
 number of lookups.
 3. Use the same number of content segments as you would for a blog on the
 main site. That is 1 more than the number of segments for the main blog.

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31507>
WordPress Trac <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/>
WordPress publishing platform

More information about the wp-trac mailing list