[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32753: Automatically wrap the current selection with bracket and quote characters in TinyMCE

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 22 18:04:21 UTC 2015

#32753: Automatically wrap the current selection with bracket and quote characters
in TinyMCE
-------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  johnbillion  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  TinyMCE      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:  needs-patch ux-feedback
  Focuses:  javascript   |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Some intuitive behavioural improvements have been introduced into the
 TinyMCE editor recently: #31441 and #31571.

 A feature I use often when code editing is highlighting some text and then
 typing a single quote, double quote, or opening bracket. In most code
 editors this wraps the selected text in the appropriate characters, rather
 than replacing the selected text with that single character. It becomes
 frustrating when this isn't the case when editing posts in WordPress.

 When any of the following characters are typed while there's an active
 selection, the text should be wrapped instead of replaced:

  * `'` (single quote)
  * `"` (double quote)
  * {{{`}}} (backtick)
  * `(` (opening parenthesis)
  * `[` opening bracket)
  * `{` (opening brace)

 Lesser-useful ones that could be added just for completeness:

  * `<` (opening angle bracket)
  * `‘` (opening single curly quote)
  * `“` (opening double curly quote)

 Thoughts?

 (I wish this was an OS-level feature, but alas.)