[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32713: Customizer Menus: Accessibility: make the aria-label for the "+ Add Items" button more descriptive

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 18 22:58:49 UTC 2015

#32713: Customizer Menus: Accessibility: make the aria-label for the "+ Add Items"
button more descriptive
 Reporter:  designsimply  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Moving this over from https://github.com/voldemortensen/menu-
 customizer/issues/84

 Talking about how you either need to open the item to find the delete link
 inside or you can click the `+Add Items` button to access the quick-delete
 icons, @afercia says:

 > Ideally the `+ Add Items` button text should describe the set of actions
 made available when you press it. I understand that visually this is a
 minor issue since sighted users can actually see the red X. Also, I
 understand the troubles screen reader users will face: if they look for
 something to delete menu items, it's very unlikely they will activate a
 button that says "Add Items". We should try to find a good balance between
 visual and semantics, where the latter is not just "abstract semantics"
 but real information as used by software and consequently by people using
 that software. It's always about people :)

 > If you're OK with "Add Items" for the visual part, I'd be happy to use a
 more descriptive `aria-label` attribute on the button: `aria-label="Add or
 remove menu items"`.