[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing accordion behavior

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jun 13 09:50:21 UTC 2015

#31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing
accordion behavior
--------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:                |       Owner:  ocean90
  celloexpressions        |      Status:  assigned
     Type:  enhancement   |   Milestone:  4.3

Comment (by afercia):

 Replying to [comment:114 celloexpressions]:
 > - Disable tabindex on non-visible elements (other section headings when
 in a section)

 Screen readers offer several ways to navigate trough web pages, tabbing is
 just one of them. With arrows you can read sequentially any content, not
 just the focusable elements. There are key strokes to jump through any
 kind of elements for example in NVDA press "h" to navigate through
 headings of any level.

 To clearly understand what happens, please refer to the screenshot below
 where I'm just pressing "h". You can see that after the end of the visible
 panel content it starts to read out the off-screen panels content.
 Using `tabindex=-1` won't be sufficient here. If you want that content to
 be hidden from all users, including assistive technologies, then you
 should really hide it.

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/RPDlaYMTqw.png)]]

 See also [comment:58 my previous comment] and [comment:3:ticket:32493 the
 Customizer accessibility audit ticket]. I'd still recommend to have a look
 at what was done in Press This. It's already done, maybe abstract a bit
 that method and just use that?

 Also, thinking at maintenance in the long run: why there should be two
 different implementations of the same thing? What is the best way to build
 a sliding panels animation? Ideally, there should be just one
 implementation, available for all the components/tools in WordPress.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31336#comment:115>