[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32613: Allow easy fallback to the latest stable release when beta testing with the beta tester plugin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 11 15:01:08 UTC 2015

#32613: Allow easy fallback to the latest stable release when beta testing with the
beta tester plugin
-----------------------------+-------------------------------
 Reporter:  ryan             |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  4.2.2
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:  beta-testing-flow
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-------------------------------
 The Grand Unified Updater present a Re-Install Now button that allows
 reinstalling your site with the latest stable release. When using the beta
 tester plugin to test point release or bleeding edge nightlies, there is
 no such button. Let's add a "Return to Latest Stable Release" type button
 to allow a push button means of leaving the beta testing track. Some
 language warning that the database may have been altered in non-backward
 compatible ways by the nightlies is probably in order, although in
 practice our database changes are usually back compat.

 I think this will be strictly UI changes, with no backend heavy lifting
 required. The infrastructure behind Re-Install Now should be easy to reuse
 for "Return to Latest"

 Related:

 https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/beta-testing/
 https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-beta-tester/