[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing accordion behavior

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 9 13:50:33 UTC 2015

#31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing
accordion behavior
--------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:                |       Owner:  ocean90
  celloexpressions        |      Status:  assigned
     Type:  enhancement   |   Milestone:  4.3

Comment (by iammattthomas):

 Replying to [comment:105 celloexpressions]:
 > The other issue here though is that we're quickly reverting to the pre-
 MP6 problem of having 50 shades of gray in the Customizer, especially if
 we have to re-introduce gray hover/focus styles.

 FWIW, the problem we sought to address in MP6 wasn't specifically the fact
 that there was a lot of gray, but that colors weren't being used in a
 consistent, considered way. I think 50 shades might be lowballing it a
 little bit. :) The lesson to take away there isn't that there was too much
 gray in the admin, but that the colors being used weren't being used with
 any kind of real unifying logic behind them.

 I agree that the blue hover state is jarring—also I'd note that using the
 same color for an active state and a hover/focus state can cause weirdness
 like this: https://cloudup.com/iKZ1qSkyt83

 I haven't been too involved in these discussions so this is just me
 speaking for myself here, but I'd endeavor to make the Customizer as
 neutral as possible, limiting the use of color to primary actions, so it
 takes as little attention as possible away from the star of the show,
 which is the preview of your site.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31336#comment:108>