[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing accordion behavior

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jun 7 21:41:35 UTC 2015

#31336: Customizer: separate navigation from options UI for better UX by removing
accordion behavior
--------------------------+------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:                |       Owner:  ocean90
  celloexpressions        |      Status:  assigned
     Type:  enhancement   |   Milestone:  4.3

Comment (by melchoyce):

 Replying to [comment:102 celloexpressions]:
 > Replying to [comment:101 melchoyce]:
 > > Totally agree — just encountered the blue hovers and they were
 incredibly jarring. The blue seems inappropriate in this context. In
 general a blue background means "this is a primary action," and shouldn't
 be used as a hover effect. We should stick with the grey here.

 > This is exactly the same usage of the blue/accent color as is found in
 the admin menu in every color scheme except for default (where it's still
 used on the active item). Used for hover on a navigational element.

 That's the thing, though — the Customizer isn't the admin bar. It's a
 tool. We made that determination back in 3.8, when we had initially styled
 the customizer to match the admin bar before realizing that it just didn't
 work, because it wasn't the same thing. I forget which, but one of the
 lead developers made a very compelling argument that the Customizer is
 more like the widgets or menus UI, which have a more neutral design
 because they are tools. Now that we have widgets and menus in the
 customizer, this almost reinforces that.

 > We can change it to the gray, but would need to ensure that there is
 adequate color contrast for that style AND add another change besides the
 color to indicate focus. Currently there is color inversion of
 text/background colors, which is sufficient, but without inversion I think
 we need something more than a color change here.

 Cool, let's do it. We can use those contrast and focus enhancements to
 improve other parts of the admin UI as well, so it's a win-win.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31336#comment:103>