[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33148: Categories are missing in admin category list when child category linked to non-existant parent id

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 27 21:42:52 UTC 2015

#33148: Categories are missing in admin category list when child category linked to
non-existant parent id
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  ShawnLunny      |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Taxonomy        |    Version:  4.2.3
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 I did a dive into this as our own categories were not showing up and think
 that this is a user experience nightmare.

 I have detailed the issue here:
 http://stackoverflow.com/a/31663554/1361532

 A quick google search for "wordpress missing categories" shows many
 threads on wordpress.org with users who never had a resolution since at
 least 2010.

 As an additional note though the bug does not impact the actual use of the
 category when creating new posts, although the categories are not nested
 correctly, but are still usable. To be clear this bug only impacts
 category management.

 My recommended solution to this is for the category list to show all
 categories in the list even if they are not properly linked AND to show
 (in red?) ones that are not linked correctly so they can be fixed.