[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31792: register_uninstall_hook causes large #s of unnecessary updates to wp_options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 27 18:55:05 UTC 2015

#31792: register_uninstall_hook causes large #s of unnecessary updates to
wp_options
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jeichorn                 |       Owner:  jorbin
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by jeichorn):

 Replying to [comment:5 dd32]:
 > This shouldn't be causing any extra DB writes realistically.
 >
 > update_option() should (and does) notice that the array is unchanged,
 which prevents the writes occurring.
 > The only way for this to trigger a write on every call of the function,
 would be if the callback value was changing every pageload, and if so,
 then that couldn't be used as a uninstall callback in the first place..

 > That being said, there's nothing wrong with the attached patch, it just
 handles skipping the update at a higher level.

 I missed this reply.  I've seen this heavy write behavior on multiple
 sites, the driver of writing this patch was seeing the query piling up in
 the processlist.  Any thoughts on what would drive update_option check to
 fail, when the value isn't changing?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31792#comment:8>