[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32995: Flag Emoji in emails substituted by img HTML tag, alt attribute is erroneously substituted

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 14 15:27:10 UTC 2015

#32995: Flag Emoji in emails substituted by img HTML tag, alt attribute is
erroneously substituted
 Reporter:  cesargml      |       Owner:

Comment (by cesargml):

 No, the issue does not happen with the code above used on content to be
 displayed on a browser.

 The src is substituted by Google Mail, to avoid security problems with
 images hosted externally. The same happens with Outlook webmail (both the
 src substitution, and the formatting error)

 It seems to be an issue with emailing only, maybe Gmail tries to
 substitute the flag inside the alt attribute, doing its own image
 substitution.

 In any case, if we are escaping the emoji into an image, to avoid issues
 with email and RSS (see https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/04/02/omg-
 emoji-%F0%9F%98%8E/) ... then why are we using the emoji inside the alt
 attribute? Won't this bring the same issues as using the emoji direcly?

 César

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32995#comment:2>