[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32854: Uploading a theme via zip file not working if style.css and index.php are in a subdirectory

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 1 10:44:52 UTC 2015

#32854: Uploading a theme via zip file not working if style.css and index.php are
in a subdirectory
--------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  onishiweb     |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by dd32):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => duplicate
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 The only reason this currently works when you install it directly onto the
 filesystem is because WordPress allows directories of themes, which allows
 for external repositories to be used as externals in deployments (I don't
 know when this was added, but it was a long time ago, before  #24814 was
 created), for example:
 {{{
 themes
  + twentyten
  + wporg-themes
    - theme1
      - style.css
    - theme2
      - style.css
  + github
    - theme3
      - style.css
    - theme4
      - style.css
 }}}

 In the above case, the theme as WordPress see's it, is still the
 theme[1..4] folders, and will internally be referenced as `wpcom-
 pub/theme1`.

 I still don't think we should change the definition of a theme to allow
 `style.css`/`index.php` in arbitrary subdirectories of the themes folder
 personally, but you can discuss it on #24814 and potentially re-open it if
 need be.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32854#comment:1>