[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31112: WP_Query fields=>ids parameter sometimes returns post objects instead of array of post IDs

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 23 20:42:00 UTC 2015

#31112: WP_Query fields=>ids parameter sometimes returns post objects instead of
array of post IDs
 Reporter:  lisota        |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Query         |    Version:  4.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I am trying to return an array of post IDs from a custom WP_Query. Simple
 queries like this seem to work fine:

 {{{
 $args = array(
   'post_type" => 'sponsor_post',
   'fields' => 'ids'
 );
 $query = new WP_Query($args);
 }}}
 That successfully returns a list of post IDs for my custom post type
 called "sponsor_post".

 Now add a meta_query to the parameter like so:

 {{{
         $args = array(
             'post_type' => 'sponsor_post',
             'meta_query' => array(
                 array(
                     'key' => 'sponsor_post_type',
                     'value' => 'advertorial',
                     'compare' => '!='
                 ),
             ),
             'fields' => 'ids'
         );
         $query = new WP_Query($args);
 }}}

 Now the query returns an array of post objects, despite the fact that I've
 set the return parameter to 'fields' => 'ids'

 How can I get WP_Query to respect the settings of the return fields
 parameter?