[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31094: Attempt to cache notoptions in database to save queries for non-existent options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 22 17:43:06 UTC 2015

#31094: Attempt to cache notoptions in database to save queries for non-existent
options
----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  ashfame                     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                 |      Status:  new

Comment (by georgestephanis):

 A couple thoughts:

 * Should each notoption include an expiration, so notoptions doesn't get
 huge over time and legacy notoptions persist for all eternity, long since
 the plugin/theme that cared about them has been deactivated?
 * Should we maybe delay the update_option() call until late in the game,
 so if ten notoptions get added on a given request, it only triggers one db
 write?
 * Could this be written more easily as a plugin rather than a core patch,
 for testing and experimenting -- as well as use should it get rejected for
 core?
 * Should there be a special filter on `option_notoptions`?  Maybe a
 function `is_not_option()` or something.  Iunno, at this point I think I'm
 just rambling.

 All in all, I like the idea, I just feel like there's a  problem with it
 in the back of my mind that I just can't quite remember.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31094#comment:6>