[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24675: Reduce the number of clicks needed to update the permalink to match a changed title to just one click.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 12 10:55:29 UTC 2015

#24675: Reduce the number of clicks needed to update the permalink to match a
changed title to just one click.
-------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  pbearne      |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Changes (by avryl):

 * keywords:  has-patch => needs-patch
 * focuses:   => javascript, administration

Comment:

 I don't think something like a resync button is an option.

 There is some room for improvement though, e.g. when I add a title for a
 new post and continue to the content, the slug is updated, but this does
 not happen when I change the title later and didn't touch the title in the
 meantime. No one knows this will update when you publish, in fact, it's
 confusing since something different got published than what I thought and
 was visible.

 Patch for this is welcome.

 > Since I created this I have learned that any URL(permalink) that is used
 and replaced after a Page/Post has been published are converted to a
 redirect this not indicated anywhere and so confusing to users.

 I don't think this is confusing. If you change the *permalink* of a post
 after it has been published, it makes sense that there is a redirect form
 the old post slug. You can definitely reuse the slug for another post and
 the redirect will disappear automatically.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24675#comment:14>