[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30919: Unexpected Behavior of End / PgUp / PgDn Buttons in TinyMCE & Distraction Free Writing Mode

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 5 20:23:49 UTC 2015

#30919: Unexpected Behavior of End / PgUp / PgDn Buttons in TinyMCE & Distraction
Free Writing Mode
--------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  mrwweb                          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                    |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor                          |    Version:  4.1
 Severity:  normal                          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, javascript, administration  |
--------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 When entering the new 4.1 Distraction Free Writing (DFW) mode, the
 behavior of the End, Page Up, and Page Down keys has the potential to
 unintentionally exit DFW and the editor.

 All the keys (at least in my testing of Windows 8.1 / Chrome) are
 manipulating the full page and not just the editor, despite the fact that
 the editor has focus and appears to be the only UI when DFW is enabled.

 Specifically, this means that the End key jumps to the end of the page as
 seen without DFW on and exiting DFW mode (potentially without the editor
 even visible if there are enough elements below the page editor).

 Page Up and Page Down both seem to manipulate the page and cursor position
 under the assumption that the editor is at most 100% of the height of the
 page. If the post is longer than that, then the cursor will jump to some
 point near the end of the post or exist DFW mode entirely.

 Since DFW enters a mode akin to a document editor, I expected those keys
 to work within the TinyMCE editor and not the full page itself whenever
 the editor has focus and DFW is enabled.

 I believe these problems also occur when DFW is not enabled (so maybe it's
 really an issue with the full-height editor?); however, the effect is much
 more jarring and unexpected when DFW is on.