[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22128: Adding upload mimetype in Multisite does not work if mimetype is not already defined

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 14 03:16:23 UTC 2015

#22128: Adding upload mimetype in Multisite does not work if mimetype is not
already defined
 Reporter:  BjornW        |       Owner:
Changes (by jeremyfelt):

 * severity:  critical => minor

Comment:

 Overall I tend to agree with the thought that this input is of little
 value for most installations. It gets especially annoying for both parties
 (network admin and dev) when a non whitelisted filetype (e.g. EPS) is
 added to the input field and continues to generate support requests until
 someone realizes that the mime type hasn't been added. This actually
 happened today for me. :)

 That said - I can see a benefit to not allowing uploads of the ~90 mime
 types whitelisted by default, especially when not all fit in the "media
 library" box. Some UI is useful for reducing the current list, but that UI
 will likely be used anywhere from 0 to 1 times by the majority of
 multisite configurations.

 As for the initial subject of this ticket..it's a good thing that a
 whitelist exists and blocks invalid values.

 One of the "expected behaviors" listed was:

   Or warn the admin that this extension is unknown and more info (such as
 the full mime type) is needed.

 I think that would be a good solution to this ticket. A plugin would be a
 perfect place to iterate possible UI solutions, though patches here would
 be helpful as well.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22128#comment:23>