[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #31277: Many WP Dashboard-only transients for 'browser version' set to autoload=yes in wp_options

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 9 23:21:44 UTC 2015

#31277: Many WP Dashboard-only transients for 'browser version' set to autoload=yes
in wp_options
 Reporter:  archon810     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Database      |    Version:  4.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  performance   |
 I've been recently optimizing WP for speed and for various reasons (mostly
 because it's buggy as hell), we're forced to run without W3TC's object
 cache on a busy site. Because of that, when wp_options gets bloated,
 especially with values that have autoload=yes, and every thread ends up
 transferring that much more data, overall performance decreases, and db
 traffic goes up.

 Transients are typically (with few exceptions) added as autoload=no. This
 keeps performance in check.

 However, there's one notable exception, and on our server, it's 120 rows
 all dedicated to a single transient, with over 30KB of data in total that
 gets transferred for no reason.

 That transient is `"browser_" . $key`, and it's only used by
 `wp_check_browser_version()` in `wp-admin/includes/dashboard.php`. There's
 no reason at all for it to use autoload=yes.