[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35250: Enable developer to omit "internal" taxonomies from return value of get_taxonomies()

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 29 04:44:15 UTC 2015

#35250: Enable developer to omit "internal" taxonomies from return value of
get_taxonomies()
 Reporter:  MikeSchinkel  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Component:  Taxonomy      |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I frequently use one or two taxonomies in a project that users should
 never see, but plugins that use the `get_taxonomies()` function are able
 to display my internal taxonomies to users. ` get_taxonomies()` does not
 filter for `show_in_nav_menu` or `show_in_nav_menu` _(and probably should
 not.)_  so I can't correct this proactively. Thus I would like to be able
 to filter out my internal taxonomies so they will be invisible to plugins
 and themes.

 I am uploading a patch that adds a `'get_taxonomies'` filter for this.

 Another option would be to introduce a `'internal'` property at taxonomy
 registration and then filter for that being `false` in `get_taxonomies()`
 and probably elsewhere, or introduce the idea of underscore prefixed
 taxonomies being hidden.

 Any of those would work for me.  Thanks in advance for considering.