[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35108: Responsive images blurry - srcset attribute doesn't include full size version

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Dec 20 03:16:52 UTC 2015

#35108: Responsive images blurry - srcset attribute doesn't include full size
version
------------------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  nicasi                        |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  defect (bug)                  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:5 joemcgill]:
 > If the src was larger than 1600px we should probably include it
 regardless.

 Not sure if this is best. Having full size images that were uploaded
 directly from a camera (> ~2500px) in post_content should be treated as
 user error. Currently in these cases the browsers download the "proper"
 size from the srcset saving significant time and bandwidth.

 Maybe we should bump the default `max_srcset_image_width` to something
 like 2048, but still not include the full size. This will prevent using 24
 megapixel (5-6MB) files for a 900px "retina" images.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35108#comment:9>