[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35114: After upgrade to 4.4 some existing pages are redirected to other existing pages

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 16 03:02:00 UTC 2015

#35114: After upgrade to 4.4 some existing pages are redirected to other existing
pages
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jobst              |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)       |     Status:  new
Component:  General            |    Version:  4.4
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, accessibility  |
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hi

 I have tried to debug this problem, but I am really stuck!
 I need some pointer(s) were to look in the WP code, where this problem
 might be caused.

 After I upgraded to 4.4 some existing pages are redirected to other
 existing pages. I know this is related to the update of 4.4 as I did not
 update anything else, no plugins and other code/things were changed, no
 pages/posts changed/added, no server settings changes, just WP upgraded.

 Before the update everything was working, afterwards not.

 Also in the Apache logs this "redirection" shows up as a 301 (permanent
 move).
 Note: To be sure that it is not caused by external influences/server I
 cleared .htaccess files to the bare minimum, made no difference.

 Also it ONLY happens to SOME of pages, 95% of all pages are working
 correctly.

 The pages in question cannot be accessed as they require
 usernames/passwords. I am happy to find the bug myself, but I need
 pointers were to start looking and how this could be caused, what changes
 in 4.4 might lead to this issue.

 For example:
   https://MyDomain.com/lesson/module-0-introduction-module/

 gets redirected to
   https://MyDomain.com/lesson/module-0-introduction-module-free/

 The content of the two posts are identical, except the top one is a
 purchased item and part of a very larger course, while the bottom one is
 free (you just need to register with your email) and is meant to be to
 show parts of the bigger picture.

 IMHO this is not a security issue, as it works on 4.3.1 but not in 4.4.

 I am not sure how this could be caused and where.
 Happy to provide more info.