[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #34977: When updating a Comment do not call `wp_update_comment_count` if there is no related Post

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 11 16:34:34 UTC 2015

#34977: When updating a Comment do not call `wp_update_comment_count` if there is
no related Post
----------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  rachelbaker                 |       Owner:  rachelbaker
     Type:  enhancement                 |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by rachelbaker):

 As I dug more into this I found that this bug had a slightly larger scope.
 Currently '''only''' `wp_delete_comment()` does check if the
 `comment_post_ID` is valid (as in returns a WP_Post object from
 `get_post()`) before calling `wp_update_comment_count()`.  Instead of
 adding a bunch of conditional checks before calling that function, it
 would be cleaner to do the check in the `wp_update_comment_count()`
 function itself, and return early if there is no post.

 We will need to be careful when doing this because
 `wp_defer_comment_counting()` actually intentionally passes `null` for the
 `$post_id` param.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/34977#comment:13>