[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33572: Fix the "E-mail me whenever" text (and maybe behavior) in the Discussion Settings screen

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 27 16:02:47 UTC 2015

#33572: Fix the "E-mail me whenever" text (and maybe behavior) in the Discussion
Settings screen
--------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  samuelsidler  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Comments      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  needs-patch ux-feedback
  Focuses:                |
--------------------------+-------------------------------------
 The Discussion Settings screen includes this bit of text:

 > E-mail me whenever

 However, the setting associated with that text are global settings, not
 personal ones. The intention here was likely that only the administrator
 of the site can change that setting and, since their email is the one
 associated with site, they're the one that would receive the email. There
 are two problems with this:

 1. There could be more than one administrator on the site and that
 administrator would not receive the emails.
 2. The settings associated with this text aren't actually ones that go to
 ''just'' the administrator. (At least one isn't...) "E-mail me whenever...
 Anyone posts a comment" applies to post authors as well.

 (Note: I have no idea if "E-mail me whenever... A comment is held for
 moderation" applies to post authors '''and''' administrators, but I know
 it applies to administrators. Someone should confirm either way.)

 This text is really confusing. If we want to have a personal setting for
 emails, we should add that somewhere else. But if one of these settings is
 for post authors and one is for administrators, that's even more
 confusing.

 So, how should this read? What should this setting do?