[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #16860: map_meta_cap use "manage_network_users" instead of is_super_admin for edit_users

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 21 06:33:03 UTC 2015

#16860: map_meta_cap use "manage_network_users"  instead of is_super_admin for
edit_users
 Reporter:  sboisvert                |       Owner:  jeremyfelt
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  reviewing
  needs-unit-tests                   |  multisite
Changes (by jeremyfelt):

 * keywords:  has-patch needs-codex commit => has-patch needs-codex needs-
     unit-tests

Comment:

 I'll take back some of what I said previously. Let's focus on
 `edit_user`/`edit_users` only for this ticket. We can cover create and
 delete elsewhere. I want to make sure we focus on what this changeset will
 be doing.

 There's a security concern with the current patch in that any user given
 the `manage_network_users` capability can also manage super admins,
 including their passwords. Once that's changed...ouch.

 We can check the specific user ID that is passed into `map_meta_cap()` and
 bail if that user ID itself is a super admin. I've done this in
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/16860/16860.diff
 16860.diff], though the conditional is pretty crazy.

 I'd like to have unit tests attached to this as well. We'll get this in,
 but it definitely needs to be vetted quite a bit. I read through the other
 uses of `edit_user` and `edit_users` caps and things seem okay. What other
 possible consequences does this have?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16860#comment:20>