[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33376: Create index on user_email and UNIQUE on user_nicename, user_email and user_login

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 20 23:36:25 UTC 2015

#33376: Create index on user_email and UNIQUE on user_nicename, user_email and
user_login
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  chriscct7               |       Owner:  chriscct7
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by knutsp):

 If this goes in, please use localpart+username at example.com to make
 duplicate email unique and not vice versa. Gmail supports
 localpart+somestring at gmail.com as aliases for localpart at gmail.com. Then,
 for all users with Gmail, and maybe more, this will work out of the box.

 Note:
 My main business' main system depends on "Allow Multiple Accounts" plugin
 (case: same employer sometimes employed by several employees, but system
 currently only allows each employer to attach to one employee). We will
 adapt and change our system, but I think a warning should be given months
 ahead. If I spot trouble here, I guess many will have.

 Core has allowed duplicate emails on users for a decade (?), even if it's
 not the internal default and intention.

 I do understand and respect the reasons for this (proposed) change,
 though.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/33376#comment:6>