[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29462: comment pagination in reverse order should display a full number of the latest comments

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 14 13:06:28 UTC 2015

#29462: comment pagination in reverse order should display a full number of the
latest comments
 Reporter:  mark-k        |       Owner:  obenland
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by atomicjack):

 Replying to [comment:9 marshallowen]:
 > Replying to [comment:8 obenland]:
 > > The change would break existing comment permalinks, which I doubt
 we'll be fine with. This feels like a wontfix to me.
 > It should at least be an available option! It is a straightforward
 premise to add a "Use Reversed Comment Pagination" checkbox to Settings >
 Discussion > Other Comment Settings. Boolean, default=false so it doesn't
 affect existing users, but could be set true during new WP installs
 henceforth.

 > '''Please''' don't doom this to ''wontfix''. It's a huge UX issue all
 the way around, has been for years, and it should really be a simple,
 supported fix for those who ''don't'' care about their current comment

 > In my opinion, there should really already be a much more intelligent
 way of handling comment (and archive!) pagination/permalinks in place by
 now anyway. Even if that's not happening any time soon, it won't hurt
 anyone to have an optional stopgap in place in the meantime.

 > Besides... ''many'' core upgrades were more catastrophic than screwing
 with comment permalinks! #dontwaitdeprecate

 I completely, and wholeheartedly agree with this comment. There should be
 a better way by now of handling pagination and permalinks.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29462#comment:10>