[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32051: Creating new posts/terms with non-English characters is broken for tables with cp1251 collation in 4.1.2

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 22 11:30:22 UTC 2015

#32051: Creating new posts/terms with non-English characters is broken for tables
with cp1251 collation in 4.1.2
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  vloo          |       Owner:  pento
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by LewisCowles):

 I agree the patch is reported as working for some users, but their problem
 would also be solved by them moving to UTF-8, for which there is guidance
 in the codex as linked.

 "we won't be forcing people to use it by breaking backwards compatibility"

 Two things, who represents we, who else did you speak to about this? And
 is this a "forever" decision? I Hope not because it would represent less
 time for WP devs to just abandon those and focus on more relevant
 technologies and issues.

 "Forcing them to convert all of their content in order to upgrade isn't an
 option."

 Who is this not an option for? The content does not need to be manually
 re-typed, a character-code conversion script can be used, such as the ones
 in the codex I linked.

 https://www.owasp.org/index.php/PHP_Security_Cheat_Sheet#Use_UTF-
 8_unless_necessary

 http://php.net/eol.php

 5.3 is in EOL from PHP, most OS's with 5.4 and up have a modern mysql of 5
 and up. In order to upgrade these blogs I don't see how it could be
 considered particularly mean, or difficult for site-owners to upgrade and
 migrate their database, particularly if it benefits WordPress, their
 security, and due to the removal of code, should improve speed...

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32051#comment:8>