[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32051: Creating new posts/terms with non-English characters is broken for tables with cp1251 collation in 4.1.2

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 22 07:53:34 UTC 2015

#32051: Creating new posts/terms with non-English characters is broken for tables
with cp1251 collation in 4.1.2
 Reporter:  vloo          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Database      |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 This is a pretty specific case of an client of mine:

 Site is pretty old (got posts since 2005) and it's in Bulgarian. Most
 tables' collation is cp1251, but there are newer tables (from plugins)
 that are utf8. DB_CHARSET is utf8 and I guess it was always like that.
 Since the automatic update of 4.1.2 the users were unable to publish or
 save as draft posts in Cyrillic, nor create new terms in Cyrillic.
 Comments couldn't be created either.

 I still haven't tested this in a clean install, as I just found out about
 the issue, but it's not just this site:

 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/update-412-problem?replies=9

 Replacing wp-includes/wp-db.php with it's previous version seems to be
 fixing the problem, but I'm totally aware that this is bad hotfix, that
 shouldn't be a long term solution.

 My wild guess is, that something is missing or faulty here:

 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset?old_path=%2Fbranches%2F4.1&old=32234&new_path=%2Fbranches%2F4.1&new=32234&sfp_email=&sfph_mail=