[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18302: Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing `theme_url()` to locate a file URI

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 31 13:56:52 UTC 2014

#18302: Improve child theme file inheritance by introducing `theme_url()` to locate
a file URI
 Reporter:  johnbillion                          |       Owner:  westi
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by johnjamesjacoby):

 Replying to [comment:66 georgestephanis]:
 > Yeah, we'd suggested that earlier, but occasionally the parent theme
 will want to include a file that they don't want the child theme to
 override.

 Themes are for styling output to the browser, they are not for dictating
 what other libraries can or cannot do inside the application. Allowing
 themes to black-list which template parts and assets child themes can
 never override is a slippery slope.

 Themes would go from 'not officially supporting BuddyPress' to 'officially
 not supporting BuddyPress' which seems like behavior we wouldn't want to
 enable.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18302#comment:78>