[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30166: Twenty Fifteen: Color contrast doesn't meet minimum accessibility requirements

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 29 04:24:11 UTC 2014

#30166: Twenty Fifteen: Color contrast doesn't meet minimum accessibility
requirements
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  Bundled Theme     |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:  accessibility     |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 At a quick glance we have some issues with insufficient WCAG contrast
 ratios (less than 4.5:1) in the default colorscheme with no
 Customizations. I haven't looked closely, but `.entry-footer` fails for
 sure and I expect there are several others.

 We need to go through the entire theme and check that we're meeting the
 minimum requirements everywhere. We also should make all of the built-in
 colorschemes completely accessible by ensuring that they meet minimum
 color contrast requirements. In fact, we can even enforce customized
 colors meeting these requirements if we make some tweaks to how the
 colorschemes work. Throughout, we need to account for the opacity that
 many colors have (rgba), as that lowers the amount of contrast.

 Accessibility is important and in the case of color contrast it affects
 many users in different situations that can be as common as a bad
 monitor/screen in bad light conditions.