[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29873: Nickname is auto-set as same as username, but then get an error everytime you edit user saying they must be different

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 6 19:01:53 UTC 2014

#29873: Nickname is auto-set as same as username, but then get an error everytime
you edit user saying they must be different
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jdaviescoates  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  Users          |    Version:  4.0
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, multisite  |
 When I create a new user on my multi-site install all I have to complete
 is their username and email.

 Then, if I go to edit that user (say, to change their password, or change
 anything) and hit save, then I get an error message which states:

 "Your Nickname must be different than your login name. Please choose a
 different Nickname."

 If they ''must'' be different then why does wordpress automatically make
 them the same?!?