[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30335: Splitting shared terms on term update breaks backward compatibility when using an old term_id

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 26 23:58:04 UTC 2014

#30335: Splitting shared terms on term update breaks backward compatibility when
using an old term_id
--------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  boonebgorges  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  4.1 =>

Comment:

 After some discussion, we've decided the following:

 1. Term splitting on `wp_update_term()` is being removed for 4.1, and is
 now slated for 4.2. See #5809.
 2. In 4.2, we will not be providing any sort of backward compatibility of
 the type proposed in this ticket. Our analysis showed that it would cover
 too few of the actual cases of breakage.

 For some background on these decisions, see:
 * https://make.wordpress.org/core/2014/11/25/an-update-on-shared-term-
 splitting/
 * https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/core/p1416950254003761
 * https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/core/p1417035788004135