[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28327: Contributor users receive an upload error when attempting to set a Featured Image

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 24 19:43:25 UTC 2014

#28327: Contributor users receive an upload error when attempting to set a Featured
Image
-------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  rickybanister            |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new

Comment (by kpdesign):

 Replying to [comment:3 ericlewis]:
 > Wow. So if you're a contributor, you can't create a post with any media
 in it. That's a serious editorial workflow issue.

 > I think we should add 'upload_files' to the contributor role. Thoughts?

 I don't think we should add the `upload_files` cap to the Contributor
 role.

 A Contributor can delete and edit their own posts, and read. They don't
 have the capability to publish their own post - any post they create has
 to be submitted for review.

 The Contributor role only has a minimum level of trust. If a contributor
 is trusted enough to allow them to upload files, then their role should be
 changed to Author by the site admin.

 The post editor doesn't show the Add Media button to contributors, so the
 Featured Image meta box should be hidden from that role as well.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28327#comment:4>