[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer section

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 31 00:03:19 UTC 2014

#27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer
section
 Reporter:  westonruter  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by nacin):

 I think it's great to have a plan (and I like the plan). I will say one
 thing: I don't really care how "clean" the implementation is for 3.9. If
 anything, it'd probably be *better* if it was completely private/internal
 and specific to widgets, that way we can take the time to get an API right
 (not to mention the UX). Otherwise everyone will suddenly start converting
 to these before we're even ready. "pane" probably makes more sense,
 terminology-wise. But even then I don't want to think about it so much; I
 want 3.9 to be shippable. :-) RC by end of week is the goal.

 Separately, I'd like to emphasize something that ocean90 touched on. If
 this does seem to be too much (UX-wise, code-wise, whatever), too much
 change late in the game, or it's not a clear and obvious improvement, then
 it's going to have to wait for 4.0. That's OK, as it means we're still
 going to try to use it. That would give us extra time for user testing,
 which is good.

 One thing to try, given the short timeline, is to upload work-in-progress
 patches often, even if broken, barely working, or otherwise incomplete, so
 we can get an idea as early as possible how things are going and how we
 feel about them.

 Thanks for picking this up, Adam!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27406#comment:8>