[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27580: Wordpress Importer should, by default, map usernames to pre-existing users with same name.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 29 17:20:01 UTC 2014

#27580: Wordpress Importer should, by default, map usernames to pre-existing users
with same name.
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  alexbowyer          |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  Import              |    Version:  3.8.1
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hi,
 Often web developers using WP need to use Wordpress Import & Export to
 transfer data between dev/staging/production, and often these imports have
 to be split up into several import tasks by language or to reduce the
 size. Currently, this is very tedious for the subsequent imports, because
 you have to select the right user name in every single drop down (or have
 all your posts relabelled as the current user e.g. admin). On my site
 import I was doing today I had 40 users, and 6 import files. This meant
 selecting names which exactly match the name next to the drop down, 240
 times.

 It seems to me that the current default behaviour upon finding an already-
 existing user with the same name as the user in the import file, does not
 match the most common use case. Currently it tries to create a new user
 with that name, fails because it already exists, then maps the posts to
 the current user. Meaning you have to manually trash them, delete
 permanently, and re-import, then go through the painful drop down
 selection procedure again.

 There is a plugin that fixes this (http://wordpress.org/plugins/displet-
 auto-select-authors-during-import/) which changes the default behaviour
 when an already-existing user is found to automatically map the posts by
 the user with the same username to that pre-existing user. It seems to me
 that 99% of the time this is the behaviour people want, not to map posts
 to admin.

 Maybe this made sense at some point in the past of Wordpress but the
 current behaviour seems broken, I would like to see the behaviour that
 displet offers become the default behaviour. Or at the very least have a
 single button or checkbox to auto-set all drop downs to "auto-map where
 username is the same".

 Thanks for listening.
 Alex Bowyer