[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27290: Use Widget Customizer for "Widgets" link in front-end-toolbar appearance menu (was: Remove "Widgets" from front-end-toolbar appearance menu, in favor of Widget Customizer)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 6 18:55:54 UTC 2014

#27290: Use Widget Customizer for "Widgets" link in front-end-toolbar appearance
menu
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Replying to [comment:2 westonruter]:
 > Note there is also a "deep link" URL into the customizer now to
 automatically expand the first widget area section of the customizer:
 `/wp-admin/customize.php?widget-customizer=open`. This URL could be used
 as the link for the Widgets menu item in the admin bar, if it is
 determined that the browser supports the customizer.
 The question then is "which widget area"? But I could see this working
 even better.

 Basically, using a widgets link that opens the customizer would cause
 users to potentially discover the entire customizer, while removing the
 separate widgets link would force users to see what the other links did
 (such as the customize link). For now, a separate widgets link  makes more
 sense, to ease the transition into managing more of the site from the
 customizer. When menus, background, header, and theme-switching are all
 fully incorporated into the customizer in the future, we could probably
 drop this whole menu in favor of a more prominent customizer link. But as
 we build it out over time, deep-linking seems like a good approach.

 New patch uses the widget customizer link when the customizer is
 available, and the old widgets link when the customizer isn't available
 (so that those users still get the link). This seems like a great way to
 seamlessly introduce users to this new feature.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27290#comment:3>