[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28494: Multiple strings in .editorconfig section names should be wrapped in curly brackets

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 24 08:53:07 UTC 2014

#28494: Multiple strings in .editorconfig section names should be wrapped in curly
brackets
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  netweb            |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  new

Comment (by netweb):

 Replying to [comment:5 treyhunner]:
 > Replying to [comment:4 netweb]:
 > > Replying to [comment:3 treyhunner]:
 > >
 > > Thanks for the feedback Trey,
 > >
 > > > The current syntax is simply wrong, so any change is an improvement.
 The only kind of file [*.json,*.yml] will match is something like
 "word.json,anotherword.yml".

 > > It wasn't wrong when we initially added .editorconfig to WordPress in
 February ;)

 > Actually it was.  Commas were not meant to denote separate files until
 we decided to add brace expansion in March.  If those globs ever matched
 something without a ".json," in the middle of the filename and a ".yml" at
 the end, it was a bug in the parser being used.  I'm fairly sure none of
 the parsers in February 2013 used commas to denote separate file globs.

 Thanks, that pretty much decides things then, it was/is broken for
 everyone for the files and file types the 28494.patch​ applies to, so we
 aren't going to break any back compat with this patch.

 > > If we patch it using {curly braces}:
 > >
 > > * IDE/Text Editors with an up to date implementation of .editorconfig
 0.11.0 spec will match those files.

 > > * IDE/Text Editors without an up to date implementation will not match
 the files correctly.

 > > Is there a list of common IDE/Text Editors support of the 0.11.0
 .editorconfig spec? Has it been widely implemented?

 > This is specific to each editor plugin.  I believe all of the plugins I
 know have been updated to 0.11 for some time (almost all since March
 2013).
 Awesome, thanks.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/28494#comment:6>