[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28469: Open Redirect Vulnerability in WordPress's WP Login Plugin (wp-login.php) (CVE-2014-2229)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 6 09:52:16 UTC 2014

#28469: Open Redirect Vulnerability in WordPress's WP Login Plugin (wp-login.php)
(CVE-2014-2229)
 Reporter:  blackswallow  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui            |
 However, I found that "wp-login.php" has an open redirection
 vulnerability. That means WP login plugin is vulnerable.

 It is assigned CVE-2014-2229.

 WP Login is one the most powerful WordPress login plugin and it is widely
 used, i.e.

 http://en.wordpress.com/wp-
 login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wordpress.com%2F [1]
 http://rocketsquids.squidoo.com/wp-
 login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Frocketsquids.squidoo.com
 https://managewp.com/wp-
 login.php?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Fmanagewp.com%2F3-8-7-worker-update-
 news

 However, I found that "wp-login.php" has an open redirection
 vulnerability. That means WP login plugin is vulnerable.

 The vulnerability exists at "wp-login.php" page with "redirect_to"
 parameter, e.g.
 http://en.wordpress.com/wp-
 login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

 (1) When a user click the URL ([1]) above, the "WordPress login" page
 appears. The user needs to enter his/her username and password. When this
 is done, the user is redirected to a webpage belonging to the website that
 installs "WP Login" plugin.

 However, it seems that "WP Login" allows some other domains, i.e.
 google.com.

 Now, a user could be redirected from "WP login" to a vulnerable URL in
 google first and later be redirected from this vulnerable site to a
 malicious site. This is as if being redirected from "WP login" directly.

 My tests were performed on Firefox (26.0) in Ubuntu (12.04) and IE
 (9.0.15) in Windows 7.

 (2) I will use the following tests to illustrate the scenario I painted
 above.

 The redirected webpage address is "http://www.tetraph.com". It's one of my
 webpages. We can suppose that this webpage is malicious.

 Vulnerable URL:
 http://en.wordpress.com/wp-
 login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wordpress.com%2F

 POC:
 http://en.wordpress.com/wp-
 login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fgoogle.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26sqi%3D2%26ved%3D0CCoQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tetraph.com%252F%26ei
 %3DFSMgU-
 bSCOewiQfu5IDoAg%26usg%3DAFQjCNHRJ5hWvXyy2WcSdJPZNEwvbMW9Zg%26sig2%3D_ALzlmyIx3EfHwaNUBBI_Q

 I have made a POC video for illustration. The video is available upon
 request.