[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #11515: Admin needs standardized way of handling messages (notices) displayed to the user

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 6 00:59:12 UTC 2014

#11515: Admin needs standardized way of handling messages (notices) displayed to
the user
------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  filosofo                      |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                   |      Status:  new

Comment (by iandunn):

 +1

 It sucks for plugins to have to
 [https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/654/ jump through hoops] to
 make notices persist through the post/get/redirect process.

 In some of my personal projects I've been doing essentially the same thing
 as Konstantin's patch. One minor tweak that I like is to
 [https://github.com/iandunn/admin-notice-helper/blob/master/admin-notice-
 helper.php#L91 group the types of messages into the same div], so that
 they stack cleaner. It looks better than having 2 separate divs when you
 end up with 2 errors on the same page.

 One problem I ran into in my version was that duplicate messages could be
 added, so I had my `enqueue()` method [https://github.com/iandunn/admin-
 notice-helper/blob/master/admin-notice-helper.php#L79 only add new ones if
 an identical one didn't already exist]. It's been awhile since I wrote
 that, but IIRC, the duplicate messages were often added by hook callbacks
 that were fired multiple times.

 Making the notice expire after 30 seconds makes me feel a bit uneasy,
 although I can't think of a great use case for extending it. Perhaps if
 there's a redirect and the user's connection craps out, and it takes them
 a few minutes (or hours) to get back online; it'd be good if the notice
 was still waiting for them when they got back. Probably a pretty rare edge
 case, but it'd be easy to extend it and I don't think it'd hurt anything.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11515#comment:20>