[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer section

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 22 22:08:00 UTC 2014

#27406: Widget Customizer: Organize all widget area sections into a meta customizer
section
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter     |       Owner:
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 Replying to [comment:66 ocean90]:
 > To be honest I don't want to have a restriction as in [attachment:27406
 .disallow-single-section-panels.diff] in core. It just feels wrong to
 educate people in this way.
 I should have clarified - while this would help reduce unnecessary
 panels/developer education, it's primarily for better user experience. And
 the customizer already imposes similar restrictions for developers, such
 as not rendering empty sections. It's easy enough to see that the panel
 part "worked" since the panel title is prepended to the section title.

 Having a panel with only one section is ''never'' a good experience for
 users; that section might as well be displayed in the top level. It
 basically just introduces an extra click. In dynamic situations like
 widgets, only showing the panel if there ends up being only one section in
 it is not trivial. The idea here is to make things easier on developers by
 automatically adapting in situations where panels aren't actually needed.

 Alternatively, we could implement something like [attachment:27406
 .disallow-single-section-panels.diff] for widgets only, but that's not as
 straightforward to do and wouldn't pass the benefits on to other panels.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27406#comment:67>