[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24048: Increase the usability of Plugin Editor's files list (separate directories, limit height)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 26 22:06:32 UTC 2014

#24048: Increase the usability of Plugin Editor's files list (separate directories,
limit height)
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Daedalon     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by helen):

 Replying to [comment:3 bpetty]:
 > Regardless, they are here, and as long as they're here, there's no
 reason to ignore patches that improve their usability. I wouldn't
 discourage contributors from writing patches just because a number of us
 continue to debate whether they should be in core at all.

 Not totally sure who or what you're addressing. There's no patch here, and
 I don't think the debate about keeping the editors is anything beyond
 academic. They're staying. :)

 Anyway, let's just remember that these are basic editors and we should
 keep things basic. Think of them as a stepping stone to learning about
 more full-fledged development. If we make them too fancy/IDE-ish, it
 conveys the message that it's a good idea to be cowboy coding all the
 time, when it's not. But, speaking from personal experience, they can be a
 great way for somebody to find a whole new world of things to learn.

 Design/concepts and/or patches happily encouraged here. Again, it could be
 as basic as adding some headers and showing files in a reasonable order
 and grouping.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24048#comment:4>