[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27052: Known admin user_id ( = 1 ) could lead to security problems and/or unwanted side-effects

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Feb 9 10:19:07 UTC 2014

#27052: Known admin user_id ( = 1 ) could lead to security problems and/or unwanted
side-effects
 Reporter:  ruud@…                               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new
                                                 |     Focuses:

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Replying to [comment:4 ruud@…]:
 > Also: when somehow an attacker has SQL injection 'capabilities' on your
 install than a random admin user_id probably won't help out much because
 via the user_meta table and a 'wp_capabilities' test for any serialized
 administrator object will still get the attacker an admin user_id.

 Correct.

 > Another security risk alley is when an attacker can not do SQL
 injection, but can become any user by ID. In that scenario it is too ease
 to be an admin if you can still use ID=1.

 It would still be trivial to find out an admin ID using a brute-force
 attack.

 So a random admin ID doesn't add any real protection and appears to be a
 security through obscurity technique, which we generally don't endorse.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27052#comment:5>