[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29158: Customizer UI Design lacks contrast for visual hierarchy and does not match wp-admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 30 11:22:06 UTC 2014

#29158: Customizer UI Design lacks contrast for visual hierarchy and does not match
wp-admin
-----------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  new

Comment (by JohnPixle):

 Looking into this, I think it reveals a further inconsistency in styling.
 I have to agree that indeed the customizer page does not blend nicely with
 the rest of the admin in terms of styling. Given the functionalities of
 the customizer page, I instantly make a connection between this page
 (customizer), the widgets page and the menus page. I attached the image
 above, to point a couple of things:

 At the widgets page and the menus page, while the UI follows the same
 approach, the field labels are styled differently (highlighted in green).
 At the customizer, we see even a third style for the labels, which is
 quite similar to the main tabs.

 A second inconsistency (highlighted in blue) is between the widget and
 menu titles, and the main tab at the customizer.

 So, perhaps we could refine the hierarchy here and follow a consistent
 styling. Personally I think that the field labels at the customizer are
 quite emphasized. Personally I would go with the same styling which is
 used for the labels at the widgets page.

 Ideally I would also suggest to change the styling of the labels at the
 menu page as well, but I guess it is another chapter

 I will try to make some mockups for a proposed Customizer text styling
 later today or tomorrow. Let me know any thoughts!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29158#comment:8>